Sunday, January 10, 2010

Just The Beginning


Like any good love story, this one starts out a little rough. But after only one airport meltdown, 16 pounds of luggage too many, a six hour delay in Frankfurt, and about $100 of cab fares, I have successfully made it to Spain. It is raining and far colder than my suitcase packed with little ballet flats was ever prepared for, but I have faith in this relationship with my future home of six months.

This blog is a story of how the Wolverine (me!) falls in love with El Toro (Spain!) For those of you who don't speak quite as fluently as I do, el toro is code for the bull (bulls are pretty popular here in Spain...)

As many of you know, I am spending a semester in Sevilla, Spain with 35 other students from U of M, Cornell, and the University of Pennsylvania. I will be spending the next six months in this city that smells of oranges, eating tapas galore and dancing my nights away to flamenco. I will also be LEARNING! (believe it or not). I hope to return completely fluent in spanglish.

The rest is to be continued. I have already successfully eaten shrimp with the eyes still in it and mastered the art of arguing with cab drivers, and am sure things can only go up from here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to do this! Be glad you wore ballet flats and not stilleto heels!

    I'm pretty sure that I could never eat something as it was looking at me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Gayle...I'm reading every post...twice in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayy you made it! I wasn't too sure when I watched you drag your luggage around your house running into everything in sight. I'm so happy for you, but miss you terribly already! Keep writing, you know how I love to creep!

    ReplyDelete